With the announcement of Arri’s new and intriguing handheld camera, the “Amira”, we also saw a new memory technology that has been integrated into it. CFast 2.0.
Basically CFast 2.0 is just an extremely fast new CF card standard which has been introduced by the CompactFlash association last year and apparently SanDisk is the first company to come out with this technology.
The 120GB1 SanDisk Extreme Pro CFast 2.0 memory card is the world’s fastest memory card, with read speeds of up to 450MB/s2 (3000X) for maximum workflow efficiency and write speeds up to 350MB/s2 (2333X) for faster recording performance.
This certainly makes our superfast 1000x Komputerbay cards feel obsolete, but considering that the new Arri Amira will record 200fps of ProRes 4:4:4 in 2K makes it understandable that fast CF memory is needed.
The first CFast card will hold 120GB of data and there’s no word on pricing yet. The company is also stretching the limits of storage with their newly announced 256GB UDMA7 CF card that is coming in October.
Delkin Devices' Combat Flash CF Card.
Delkin Devices has announced a waterproof CF card. According to Delkin Devices. The “Combat Flash” CF cards are the only to CF cards to meet or exceed the military standard or the “MIL-STD-810, the extreme environmental testing conditions approved by the US Department of Defense.” Here are the features from Delkin’s website. Delkin provides this little disclaimer if the card gets soaked.
“***If your card gets wet, it must be allowed to dry for at least 24 hours with the contacts being completely dry before it can be used again.”
▪ Accelerated Speeds: UDMA 6 enabled with transfer speeds up to 91MB/s 625X
▪ Waterproof: Sealed components protect data in the event of underwater submersion, high humidity & moisture.*
▪ Ruggedized: Soldered and sealed connections deliver reliable performance during extreme vibration, acceleration, shock or impact.
▪ Reliable: Sophisticated wear leveling & error correction manage data continuously to insure data integrity and card stamina.
▪ Lifetime Warranty: Industry leading lifetime warranty and US based customer support.
Don't Lose This Card.
Silicon-Power released a 128GB 400x CF card. The UDMA enabled compact flash card is one of the largest capacity CF cards out there. Documentary film makers should rejoice! This little puppy should hold hours of footage that could easily be lost in some one’s pocket or purse forever! I personally do not recommend using anything over 16GB, but I am a sissy when it comes to loosing footage. Â Here are some of the specifications of Â this monster CF card. No mention of price yet.