Convergent Design Odyssey Firmware Update
Convergent Design has released new firmware for their Odyssey 7 & Odyssey 7Q recorders. The update adds higher framerates for ProRes 422 HQ recording, new features in playback mode and increased finger drag functions for pixel zooming.
The Odyssey 7Q also gets an exclusive update in broadening support for IO Industries Flare and Indiecam indieGS2K in the form of additional raw options.
Convergent Design recorders have been quite popular since their release, particularly with Sony FS700 users as it enables raw recording and unlimited* 240fps 2K raw recording. They’re a stark contrast to the official Sony solution, which is very bulky, and very expensive.
With a price tag many will still consider a sizeable investment (especially considering their proprietary hard drives) both Odyssey devices offer a healthy specification list for on-camera recorders, as well as doubling up as a very nice 7.7″ screen.
*Unlimited in regards to bypassing the 8 second internal buffer. Recording time restricted by size of hard drive.
- Higher Frame Rates For Apple ProRes 422(HQ). In 1080p Apple ProRes 422(HQ) recording is now enabled in 1080p50 and 1080p59.94.
- Integrated Deck Control And Scrubbing in Play Mode. Scrubbing through clips is now available both while the file is playing as well as when it is paused.
- Selectable Pixel Zoom Drag Orientation. When using the finger drag function to select the section of the image visible in Pixel Zoom function, the drag orientation can be set to follow the finger move (drag the image) or oppose the finger move (drag the window).
And a new features list exclusive to the Odyssey 7Q
- New POV RAW Record Option Available For Purchase or Rent
- Canon C500 High Speed RAW Support Canon Cinema RAW “4K Half RAW” mode 4096×1080 is supported at 50p/60p and 100p/120p.
- Sony FS700 4K2HD Recording Up To 60p
Added compatibility with below raw options.
- IO Industries Flare 2KSDI 2048×1080 23.98 – 60p 10-bit
- IO Industries Flare 2KSDI 1920×1080 23.98 – 60p 10-bit
- Indiecam indieGS2K 2048×1080 23.98 – 60p 10-bit
- Indiecam indieGS2K 1920×1080 23.98 – 120p 10-bit
- Indiecam indieGS2K 1920×1080 23.98 – 60p 12-bit
And lastly a list of bug fixes
- Time of Day timecode issue
- Backward file compatibility during firmware updates
- “Ticking” audio after 720p file recovery
- Black dots in live image when overexposing or white-clipping
- False-triggering when Odyssey set to camera trigger
- Timecode triggering in 720p
- False “Warranty Void” notice on some units from previous firmware
- 1080psf audio sync issue in Playback
- Pixel Zoom mode distorting of image on OLED
- Touchscreen response
- Touchscreen recalibrates by engaging F1 Lock button
To download the Odyssey firmware update V2.11.110 head to the Convergent Design website.