Leica SL (Typ 601) – Premium Mirrorless Camera That Outputs 4K 10bit 4:2:2
Leica has been attempting the break in the Internet today with the announcement of its new mirrorless camera. The Leica SL (Typ 601) shoots 4K video in V log gamma, outputs 10bit 4:2:2, is weather sealed and shoots up to 120fps FullHD video.
The Leica SL (Typ 601) is a premium mirrorless camera; a feature rich, weather sealed body that comes with a hefty price tag of just under $7500.
It seems the video side of the camera is getting an equal amount of marketing compared to the stills side, interesting for a camera in this sector. Lets take a look at those features designed for moving images.
Both flavours of 4K are included. DCI 4K (4096X2160) and Ultra HD (3840X2160), you’ll get up to 30p here. 1920X1080 will get you up to 120fps, a new standard set by the Sony A7S II that I hope many will start using as a benchmark.
The Leica SL records 8 bit 4:2:0 internally to dual SD cards (nice) that you can tandem or continuous record, it also outputs an impressive 10bit 4:2:2 via HDMI out. V-log l gamma is supported for log recording.
Audio input is supported by a 3.5mm jack that along with a 3.5mm output for headphones is accessible via the AA-SCL4 Audio Adapter.
The sensor is a full frame 24 Megapixel sensor and it looks as if 4K will utilize a super35mm portion of the imager.
ISO range is 50-50,000, it features a 2.95″ LED touchscreen and a 4.4MP EyeRes Electronic Viewfinder.
At over twice the price of the Sony A7S II, the Leica enters a new class of its own. You get the build quality you expect for the price; an all aluminium weather sealed body.
Video assist features like peaking and zebras are mentioned as well as aspect ratio overlays.
The Leica SL (Typ 601) has a Leica L Mount, there’s a handful of variable aperture zooms already available with a punchy Leica price tag. Check out the below promo video, towards the end it demonstrates lens expansion through lens adaptors for Leica M,S and R as well as what looks like a PL mount in there.
Here’s a video bias specific list of the Leica SL (Typ 601)
- Lens Mount: Leica L
- Sensor: 24MP Full-Frame
- Sensor Type / Size CMOS, 24 x 36 mm
- Movies: MOV, MP4
- Memory Card Type: Dual SDXC/SDHC/SD
- Resolutions & Framerates: 4096×2160: 24 fps, 3840×2160: 30 fps, 25 fps, 1920×1080 & 1280X720: 24 fps, 25 fps, 30 fps, 50 fps, 60 fps, 100, 120 fps
- Video Clip Length: Up to 29 Minutes
- Audio Recording Built-in Mic: With Video, Stereo
- Optional External Mic: With Video, Stereo + Mono
- Focus Mode: Continuous-servo AF (C), Manual Focus (M), Single-servo AF (S), Touch AF & Shutter
- Viewfinder Type: Electronic 4.4M pixel 0.66″
- Screen Type: 2.95″ Touchscreen LED (1,040,000)
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, 50-50000
- Shutter Speed: 1/8000 – 60 second
- Interval Recording Yes
- Connectivity” 1/8″ Headphone, 1/8″ Microphone, HDMI A (Full Size), USB 3.0, X-Sync Socket
- Wi-Fi Capable Yes
- Battery: 1x BP-SCL4 Lithium-ion Battery Pack, 8.4 VDC, 1860 mAh
- Dimensions: (WxHxD) 5.8 x 4.1 x 1.5″ / 147.0 x 104.0 x 39.0 mm
- Weight: 1.86 lb / 847 g with battery
It’s likely that this is not going to be an industry workhorse, more of a premium owners camera, but we’ll see. I’m hoping it is a sign of what’s to come in that every type of new stills camera (cheap point & shoot or premium mirrorless camera) will support credible video features, it’s just a case of the user picking their favourite format.
Pre-Order the Leica SL (Typ 601) below if it tickles your fancy.