FiLMiC Pro V6 is Here – World’s First Log Capability for iPhone Now Available
Washington-based company FiLMiC Inc has just launched a new version of their app. FiLMiC Pro v6 is available on iTunes starting today, and it brings some exciting new features like Log recording capability for iPhones.
FiLMiC Pro is the app-of-choice for smartphone filmmakers as it allows tons of manual settings and assist tools, and users can enjoy a brand new version starting today. The most exciting new feature in FiLMiC Pro v6 is the first true logarithmic (Log) recording capability ever for mobile devices.
We had access to a beta version of this version and reviewed the Log shooting capabilities with an iPhone. Check out our hands-on review here.
Shooting in Log makes it possible to capture a more useful dynamic range from the image and increases the flexibility in color grading in post-production.
The new version of FiLMiC Pro will be available as an optional purchase of the “Cinematographer Kit” for iPhone 7 and 7 Plus only. This is due to stability issues while beta-testing the Log capability on older iPhones.
The expanded tone and color behavior controls are also limited to the newest iPhones, though the other new features of FiLMiC Pro v6 are compatible with all iOS 10-supported devices.
FiLMiC Pro v6 Key Features
- Dual arc sliders for precise control of manual focus and exposure (Cinematographer-grade variable speed, focus-pull system)
- True Log curve. Additional gamma curves: Dynamic, Flat and Neutral (Log limited to iPhone 7 and 7 plus)
- Live Analytics: Focus Peaking, Clipping, False Color, and Zebras. The micro-contrast focus peaking (patent pending) evaluates focus data on a per-pixel level. This allows the operator to identify areas of critical focus in addition to areas in the broader focal plane within the image.
- Three imaging control panels: the Temperature Panel with control over White Balance, the Tone Panel with Gamma Curves, B&W point and Shadow/Highlight controls and the Color Panel with RGB, Saturation and Vibrance controls (limited to iPhone 7 and 7 plus)
- Enhanced integration with the DJI OSMO Mobile. FiLMiC Pro v6 retains support as the only third-party video app that integrates with the DJI OSMO Mobile handheld stabilizer, and support for FiLMiC Remote for wireless control.
Here is a nice Jump Start Guide video showing how to get most out of the new FiLMiC Pro v6:
We hope FiLMiC Pro v6 becomes available to Android devices at some point soon. An unconfirmed release date for the Android version could be May 2017.
Do you use FiLMiC Pro app for creating videos? What do you think about shooting Log on a tiny smartphone image sensor? Let us know in the comments!