Cineo MavX – Mid-Power Phosphor Lamp Gets Color Tunability
Cineo has announced a new addition to their mid-power LED lighting range. The Cineo MavX takes all the advantages of the colour-accurate low power/output ratio of remote phosphor technology, now with the ability to tune in color temperature.
Cineo has been a big player in remote phosphor technology for sometime. Rather than a traditional LED fixture that relies solely on the light emitting diodes for illumination, RPT (Remote Phosphor Technology) utilizes a phosphor layer that reacts by illuminating when met with high-frequency wavelengths such as the blue LED arrays that Cineo lighting use.
Cineo are better known for their HS range, offering fantastic light power/output ratio and color accuracy. Along came the Cineo Maverick sometime after – a smaller mid-power fixture said to match the output of a traditional 1K soft source (if there is such a thing).
Like the HS range, you can alter the color temperature of the Maverick by switching out the front panel. However, the newly-announced MavX offers full color-tunability from 2,700k to 6500k, with accurate presets for 3200K,4300K and 5600K. This makes for a very nice and compact, bi-color, colour-accurate fixture.
The Cineo MavX is DC powered with AC adaptor, and can therefore run off batteries and mains; V-lock and Gold Mount battery plates are available.
It can be controlled via DMX for brightness and color, is completely flicker-free in operation and has a 150° light spread.
Furthermore to its features list is its SmartPower Control during battery operation. It has the ability to run at a consistent light output level as the voltage of your battery decreases, meaning your light source will not change in brightness over the course of a battery cycle.
Cineo provide an extended CRI scale for the MavX performance at 3200K and 5600K:
Cineo MavX – Tech Specs
- Weather resistant
- Utilizes CineoColor™ custom LED’s for accurate, consistent output
- Color-accurate CCT adjustment from 2700K to 6500K
- Presets at 3200K, 4300K and 5600K
- 150° light spread
- Completely flicker-free operation
- Silent, passive cooling: no fans
- Rotary on-board dimming, with presets calibrated in camera stops
- 5-pin wired DMX control
- Built-in LumenRadio™ wireless DMX control included
- 80/20 T-Slot mounting slots for maximum mounting flexibility
- Easily removable yoke
- Accessories include AC adapter, V-Lock battery adapter, Goldmount battery adapter, barn doors, grids, louvers and soft boxes
- Input: 10.5-28 VDC input; 75, 120, 135 watts user configurable
- Maximum output: up to 8,000 lumens
- SmartPower™ technology delivers constant output as battery voltage decreases
- Size: 9.5” x 8.5” x 3.25” (241mm x 216mm x 83mm)
- Weight: 5 lbs. (2.3 kg)
- 4-pin XLR power input
- 50,000 hr. L70 rated
- ETL, cETL, CE and RoHS Compliant
Cineo also give some information on light output, something I think is critical for all light fixtures. This is proper information that goes beyond comparing the fixture to “the output of a traditional 1K soft source”:
From this, I can actually compare it to other fixtures. For example, against a Litepanels Astra (another DC powered, high output, bi-color, soft LED fixture), the MavX falls a little short in terms of output, but it’s a trade off for better color accuracy.