Cheap CFast Recording with new SSD Interface – Kickstarter Campaign
Here’s an interesting Kickstarter campaign that will provide options for CFast users. The C-Box System allows SSD drives to be used as cheap CFast media.
CFast cards are the recording medium of choice for many professional cameras, especially those that shoot 4K (Blackmagic URSA, URSA Mini, Canon C300 mkII, etc.). But they’re currently expensive in comparison to regular Compact Flash or SD cards.
Well, there’s a new Kickstarter campaign that could provide an alternative to CFast cards. The C-Box System is a dual-SSD bay with an adapter cable that connects to the CFast ports in the camera. Since the C-Box connects directly to the CFast ports, and not to a SDI or HDMI port, it’s not sending out a video signal. Since it’s not an external recorder it isn’t limited to a different set of recording options. You can record all of the cameras native recording formats. It’s also worth noting that any SSD drive can be used; there are no proprietary drives. It receives power either through an Anton Bauer or V-Lock 5V plug (2.1 x 5.5mm).
If funding goals are met the C-Box System will start shipping in August for a retail price of $499.95. For more information check out their Kickstarter page.
C-Box System Features
- Dual SSD Bay
- Uncompressed Footage: Record at any of your cameras native recording formats
- Plug and Play: No camera modifications required
- 1/4” Screw Thread for Rig Mounting
- Use any SSD
- Powered by Anton Bauer/V-Lock 5V
- One (1) Dual-SSD Bay C-Box System
- One (1) 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC to USB Cable
- One (1) 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC to DC Cable
- Two (2) SSD Spacers (for 7mm SSD’s)
- One (1) “I Helped Launch C-Box” Sticker
- One (1) User Guide With Special Thanks Information