This is a rolling shutter comparison between the new Sony A7S, the Arri Amira, Panasonic GH4, (Canon C300), Canon 5D mark III and Canon 1D C. In the first part in this series of tests we compared the usable dynamic range of the A7S and found that it comes surprisingly close to the dynamic range of the Arri AMIRA (find the dynamic range test here).
Rolling shutter is a phenomenon where straight vertical lines look bent on moving objects, or a “jello effect” appears when the recording device itself is in motion. It is a common issue with CMOS sensor cameras that read out a frame line by line over a certain period of time. A sensor with a global shutter however reads out the entire image at once, avoiding the rolling shutter effect altogether. A severe rolling shutter can be disturbing in certain shooting scenarios. ...
This is a dynamic range test and comparison between the Sony A7S, Arri Amira, Panasonic GH4, Canon C300, Canon 5D mark III and Canon 1D C.
The dynamic range is the range in luminance any given camera can capture. More range allows for more flexibility in post production and usually provides a more natural and hence more cinematic end result.
What is the cinema5D test lab?
cinema5D has established their own scientific testing facility to accurately measure and evaluate the performance of cameras. As a platform for reviews about cinematic cameras we strive to provide objective comparisons and share insights to help you choose the right camera for your projects....
on 3rd June 2014
under Arri, Arri Amira, Camera Movement, Cameras, Color Correction, Editing on a Mac, Field Monitors, Final Cut Pro, Follow Focus, Lowlight, Microphones, Sliders, Slow Motion, Tripod & Mounting, video review
Last week we took a close look at the AMIRA, the newest camera by Arri that is aimed at serious “documentary style” shooters, with a focus on ergonomics and incorporating the famous sensor from the more expensive and more heavy ALEXA camera. This week I’d like to share my experience shooting the live music video for Read more
Download the full 4K source file at vimeo: www.vimeo.com/95030149
Panasonic raised many eyebrows when they announced the new iteration of its highly popular interchangeable lens camera series, the
Camera manufacturer Pentax (now Ricoh Imaging) has been rather quiet in terms of video functionality on their DSLR’s. With the new Pentax K-3 that brings a lot of innovation to the stills side the movie recording side has received some promising improvements as well. cinema5D took the Pentax K-3 for a spin and has some insights on its video capabilities. ...
Important notes concerning the video above:
• After some concerns with our Blackmagic Production Camera 4K review unit we were holding publication of this article until we received a replacement unit from Blackmagic today.
• Now that we have a replacement camera in our hands we can confirm that the initial concerns are correct and seem to be consistent.
• The footage the camera produces IS sharp. It is not only important to shoot with...
I’ve been using my MōVI M10 for a few months now and I am still learning – as with any tool, you get better and better over time. In a series of posts about the gimbal-stablizer, I want to share my journey and learned lessons with you, our great audience. The last MōVI post focused on a test shoot that we did on a cobblestone street, driving up to 65mph, and see how well the rig handled the vibrations (click here).
This time I will write about my experiences on my last MōVI shoot: Screenagers, an über-creative Vienna-based digital agency, hired me to shoot a very special “Jingle Bells” video with them after they heard that I had a MōVI M10....
Latest Video Reviews
- Light Meter Review: Lumu iPhone App for Video Since their hugely successful Kickstarter campaign last year Lumu has been offering the smallest accurate ...
- ON THE COUCH – ep 18 – Kessler’s Chris Beller & Tom Guilmette To watch all ON THE COUCH episodes so far, click here. This is the first ...
- Pad Prompter by OneTakeOnly – Minute Review First off my apologies for the bad audio quality - a setting in the lav ...
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- By submitting your e-mail you agree to our newsletter opt-out policy.
- Camera Bodies
- Blackmagic Design
- Canon 1100D
- Canon EOS 100D
- Canon EOS 1D
- Canon EOS 1D X
- Canon EOS 1DC
- Canon EOS 50D
- Canon EOS 5D mk2
- Canon EOS 5D mk3
- Canon EOS 60D
- Canon EOS 6D
- Canon EOS 70D
- Canon EOS 7D
- Canon EOS 7D mk2
- Canon EOS C100
- Canon EOS C300
- Canon EOS C50
- Canon EOS C500
- Canon EOS M
- Canon EOS T2i / 550D
- Canon EOS T3i / 600D
- Canon EOS T4i / 650D
- Canon EOS T5i / 700D
- Canon Powershot G1 X
- Concept Cameras
- Leica M type 240
- P+S Technik
- Camera Movement
- cinema5D news
- Editing & Field Recording
- Follow Focus
- On the Couch
- Samyang lenses
- Sony PMW-300
- Test Lab
- The Art
- OWC Thunderbay IV RAID drives break speed and price record: 36TB at 4000MB/s for under $3K - t.co/lacYyqchbi Time ago 7 Hours via cinema5D
- Review: Lumu Smartphone Light Meter for Video - t.co/Y4A9p3KJKg Time ago 3 Days via cinema5D
- RT @BHPhotoVideo: "Dynamic Range – Sony A7S vs. the others" t.co/CCzuP19IzW via @c5dnews Time ago 4 Days via Tweetbot for Mac
Follow @c5dnews on twitter.