This is a rolling shutter comparison between the new Sony A7S, the Arri Amira, Panasonic GH4, (Canon C300), Canon 5D mark III and Canon 1D C. In the first part in this series of tests we compared the usable dynamic range of the A7S and found that it comes surprisingly close to the dynamic range of the Arri AMIRA (find the dynamic range test here).
Rolling shutter is a phenomenon where straight vertical lines look bent on moving objects, or a “jello effect” appears when the recording device itself is in motion. It is a common issue with CMOS sensor cameras that read out a frame line by line over a certain period of time. A sensor with a global shutter however reads out the entire image at once, avoiding the rolling shutter effect altogether. A severe rolling shutter can be disturbing in certain shooting scenarios. ...
This is a dynamic range test and comparison between the Sony A7S, Arri Amira, Panasonic GH4, Canon C300, Canon 5D mark III and Canon 1D C.
The dynamic range is the range in luminance any given camera can capture. More range allows for more flexibility in post production and usually provides a more natural and hence more cinematic end result.
What is the cinema5D test lab?
cinema5D has established their own scientific testing facility to accurately measure and evaluate the performance of cameras. As a platform for reviews about cinematic cameras we strive to provide objective comparisons and share insights to help you choose the right camera for your projects....
Canon has released a firmware update to fix an issue some EOS-1D C users were having with the latest features.
The successful line of cinema EOS camera that currently includes the C100, C300 and C500 will receive some updates during Q4 2013.
Here’s what we’re going to see:
CONCERNING ALL C CAMERAS:
- ISO range will be upgraded to go until 80,000 (currently 20,000, meaning additional stops).
- magnify portion will be movable through whole image like on DSLR’s.
- compatibility with GPS module. ...
cinema5D had a chance to test the new Sony F55, Sony’s new flagship 4K cinema camera. As a reference we used Canon’s most advanced HDSLR.
The F55 is an interesting camera, because it is one that ticks more boxes than any other camera over the past few years – the range of resolutions, frame rates, codecs as well as the ergonomics are unprecedented. Now it’s down to actually using it to make a judgement call.
We wanted to know how the camera performs in a normal sooting environment and took the Canon EOS 1DC 4K HDSLR with us for comparison. Some interesting conclusions can be drawn here, things you might consider if you plan on shooting with either of these cameras or would just like to see what to expect.
You can download (1GB) and watch the source video in 4K on vimeo: LINK...
Filmconvert 1.31 (released today) adds support for the Canon C300 and with it opens the doors to all cameras using the C-LOG gamma. This means you can now also match the C100, C500 and 1DC to accurately reproduce the look of certain famous film stocks. ...
The 25p firmware rumored this week is a reality, but it won’t be coming before April.
The 1DC is causing a lot of buzz on the net due the nice videos coming from the camera both in 4K as well as in super35 crop mode.
With 25p this camera will be one hard to beat rival in the affordable large sensor camera market.
We’ll have more footage to show soon.
The restriction of 24 frames per second was something that held many Europeans off from considering the EOS 1DC 4K HDSLR as their camera of choice. Canonrumors reports that 25p mode could be coming next week via a firmware update.
We’ve been asking around at Canon regarding the 24p limit last year, but...
Latest Video Reviews
- Pad Prompter by OneTakeOnly – Minute Review First off my apologies for the bad audio quality - a setting in the lav ...
- Sleep, eat, taste wine and relax! – A Sony A7s camera video review EDIT: New from Cinema5d!. As part of our commitment to our readers, the A7s is ...
- ON THE COUCH – ep 17 – Vitec Videocom & David Linstrom (“Wilfred”) To watch all ON THE COUCH episodes so far, click here. We welcomed our sponsor ...
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- By submitting your e-mail you agree to our newsletter opt-out policy.
- Camera Bodies
- Blackmagic Design
- Canon 1100D
- Canon EOS 100D
- Canon EOS 1D
- Canon EOS 1D X
- Canon EOS 1DC
- Canon EOS 50D
- Canon EOS 5D mk2
- Canon EOS 5D mk3
- Canon EOS 60D
- Canon EOS 6D
- Canon EOS 70D
- Canon EOS 7D
- Canon EOS 7D mk2
- Canon EOS C100
- Canon EOS C300
- Canon EOS C50
- Canon EOS C500
- Canon EOS M
- Canon EOS T2i / 550D
- Canon EOS T3i / 600D
- Canon EOS T4i / 650D
- Canon EOS T5i / 700D
- Canon Powershot G1 X
- Concept Cameras
- Leica M type 240
- P+S Technik
- Camera Movement
- cinema5D news
- Editing & Field Recording
- Follow Focus
- On the Couch
- Samyang lenses
- Sony PMW-300
- Test Lab
- The Art
- RT @BHPhotoVideo: "Dynamic Range – Sony A7S vs. the others" t.co/CCzuP19IzW via @c5dnews Time ago 16 Hours via Tweetbot for Mac
- Boda Jib Kickstarter - High Capacity Compact Jib - t.co/I1n4stNNVI Time ago 2 Days via cinema5D
- Firmware 1.9 for Blackmagic 4K. Histrogram, audio levels plus more - t.co/rkFpwM2O6J Time ago 3 Days via cinema5D
Follow @c5dnews on twitter.