Canon 1DC gets long-awaited 25p 4K update, through service facilities only
Recently, Canon announced the availability of the long-awaited 25p 4K firmware for its filmmaking-focused DSLR, the Canon 1DC (watch my Canon 1DC review video here and our comparison to the Sony F55 here). So far, the camera was only able to record 24p in 4K, basically making it irrelevant for any TV production in Europe and other PAL countries around the world (which rely on 25p/50i workflows and broadcasting).
This makes the camera a whole lot more interesting to filmmakers and production companies in said countries. However, if you think you can download the firmware update and install it yourself, you are mistaken: Canon requires you to hand your 1DC over to a Canon-certified service center to perform the upgrade.
We don’t know why this step is necessary as Canon has usually simply released “normal” firmware updates through its website. So there could be more wizardry going on than we might suspect … what do you think could be the reason? Let us know in the comments!
Here are the FAQ from the Canon website:
FAQ: EOS-1D C Latest Firmware Update [Version 1.2.0 - Added 29 May 2013]
Firmware version 1.2.0 incorporates the following improvements and fixes:
- Provides support for 25.00p (fps) video recording frame rate (PAL settings) at the camera’s maximum 4K resolution.
- A function to disable the image size selection button has been added.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which a difference in exposure appears on every other shot when shooting continuously and the auto-lighting optimizer is turned on (on weak, standard or strong).
- Fixes a phenomenon in which video recorded onto an external recorder sometimes becomes two-layered if it has been recorded through HDMI output.
- The video frame rate now displays two additional decimal places, e.g. 24p -> 23.98p (fps).
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the on-screen guidance cannot be fully displayed when setting the maximum limit value for the “Auto ISO Range” option.
- Corrects errors in the Portuguese language menu.
Items No. 1,2,4,5,6 and 7 have been incorporated into Firmware Version 1.1.9.
Items No. 1 through 7 have been incorporated into Firmware Version 1.2.0.
Firmware Version 1.2.0 is for cameras running either Firmware Version 1.0.2 or Firmware Version 1.1.9.
Customers who wish to update EOS-1D C to Firmware Version 1.2.0 are requested to bring their cameras to our authorised service facilities.
Support will begin on 29 May.